Sunday, March 20, 2011

days twenty and twenty-two: some thoughts.

I've gone on and on about practicing discipline and here I am - at my first real slip up in this blog challenge. I wish I had a good excuse for not writing on days 20 and 22, but the reality is that I just didn't write.

Instead of writing about the prompts for those days (one of which asks about relationships, which is a road I just don't even want to go down right now), I have some thoughts.

I've had a lot on my mind lately. There are times in my life when I feel so aware of all the heartache and sorrow and imperfection in the world, and this is one of those times. My heart breaks for the people of Japan every day when I read the news and it's just one tragedy after another for them. And we can't forget about New Zealand and the horrible earthquake in Christchurch last month. And then there's the unrest in Libya. And there's just so much wrong in the world. It makes my very small life feel just that...very small.

But here's the thing - my small life...it's still mine. And as I sit here on my couch at 7:00 on a Sunday morning, wrapped in my big quilt, listening to this and watching the sunrise light paint the mountains through my window, I'm thankful for this life. (Confession...that wasn't what I originally intended to write...but it's true. I have problems and worries and concerns, but I'm thankful just the same.)

I read this in my devotional the other day, and it has been constantly with me since then: "I refuse to worry, but instead choose to rest in the finished work of Christ." It occured to me that I can refuse to worry. I don't have to give in to that feeling of near panic and anxiety about my future. When worries come into my mind, I can say, "No! I refuse to acknowledge you. I'm choosing to rest in the fact that Christ already has my plan figured out. I refuse to worry." What freedom! What a cause for celebration!

The prompt for day twenty-two asks, "what makes you different from everyone else?" And here's the thing - I'm not different from everyone else, really. I'm just another person. But what makes me unique (what makes us all unique) is the Father who knows our names, knows our hearts, and knows every single hair on our head. That's better to me than any other distinguishing feature. What makes me different from everyone else? I'm different because my Savior created me (and loves me) that way.


1 comment:

Kari said...

This is delightfully encouraging, thanks. And when I interview for residencies Colorado's definitely on the list, so I will let you know.