Monday, March 21, 2011

Day twenty-four: a letter to the best people in the world.

Dear Parents,

Thank you. Thanks for creating me and for raising me and for putting up with my snotty teenage years and for supporting my decision to go to college out of state and for letting me move back into your house after graduation from said college and for becoming my best friends.

I know of so many people who have simply mediocre relationships with their parents. They don't have people supporting them every step of the way like I do. They don't have people gently pushing them to be the best possible version of themselves like I do. They don't have people who they genuinely enjoy spending their time with like I do.

The best compliments I have ever received are when people tell me that I remind them of you guys. What an incredible honor! Because you are the two most amazing people I know. I look up to you in every way, and you are everything that I strive to be. You know that one episode of Friends when Rachel is teaching Joey how to sail? And she screams at him and then realizes she's her father? She says, "Oh my God! I did not see this coming! I've been spending so much time trying not to be my mother." It's a funny moment and all, but I am beyond thankful that I have never felt that way. No...I'd be saying, "Oh my God! Thank you for letting me become my mother and my father!" Because you guys are everything that is good about me.

I can't even begin to count the things that you've taught me. It would take more time than I have, that's for sure. And I definitely couldn't count the many things that I've learned just by watching you navigate your own lives - how to be a person of honesty and integrity, how to approach everything in my life with 100% of my effort and dedication, how to love other people, and how to live as a Godly woman, to name just a few. You are pillars of consistency in my life, and if I end up being even half as wonderful of a parent as you have been to me, my kids will be the luckiest in the world.

I love you guys so much, and I am so grateful for every single moment that I get to spend with you. Thank you for being, quite literally, the best parents in the world.

With all my love...

Your daughter,
Kelsey Quinlan

















No comments: