Thursday, March 10, 2011

day thirteen - a letter to someone who has hurt you recently

Dear Public Education Funding and US Economy,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I hate you guys. I hate living every day embroiled in the uncertainty of whether or not my job will still be around next year. And, I hate the fact that I have a college degree from a fairly prestigious school, but the only jobs available to me are crappy hours, crappy pay, and almost certainly about to be dissolved completely.

Look, I know you probably didn't mean to hurt me. But the thing is, you have. And as much as I wish I was the kind of carefree person who could take all of this uncertainty in stride, I'm really not. Therefore, you are causing my stress level to be infinitely higher than it should be for any normal, single 24 year old.

However, if you start to improve your situation, I don't see why we can't work this out. All I ask is that you guarantee me a job for the next year or two, and start creating an economy that will allow me a prosperous and secure future. I really don't think it's too much to ask, but if you can't meet these requirements, well, there's not really anything I can do about it. But I will be angry, so there's that.

I am quite hopeful that we will be able to work this out...


Your completely powerless friend,

Kelsey M. Quinlan