Friday, August 31, 2007

Belfast

After a two hour drive through the beautiful Irish countryside, we made it to Belfast in the middle of the day on Wednesday. After lunch we went on a bus tour of the city, with a history professor from the local university as our guide. He took us around all of the different neighborhoods of the city, telling us all about the Troubles - both the history and the current issues. In a nutshell, there has been great segregation and persectution between the Catholics and Protestants in the area. There are walls between the neighborhoods and gangs and all sorts of violence. The problems are on their way out, however, because a ceasefire was agreed upon in May, and the two groups have made their way towards reconciliation. It was just really eye-opening, though, to see how bad it really was. It kind of reminded me of what I imagine it must have been like in the states before the civil rights movement, except for that the persecution went both ways. We've been learning more and more about it, and hearing stories from a lot of local people, and God has just opened my eyes to the trials over here. I'm kind of embarassed that I was so ignorant to the incredible struggles going on over here, but I thank God that I am now aware of it and can pray for these people. It just breaks my heart that these two groups of people who claim to love and serve the same God have so much hatred for each other. How can they reach the rest of the world when they can't even talk to each other? Its truly a tragedy - pray for this nation, that they would find peace and reconciliation.

Tomorrow we are getting away from the city for the whole day and basically going on a tour of all of Northern Ireland. We're going to the town of Londonderry which is where the Troubles started for a meeting with someone there and then we are heading to the Northern Coast for the rest of the day. I'm so excited to see some more of the beautiful countryside, and to see the coast. Apparantly its beautiful. We have a free day for church on Sunday, and then Monday we head to Cambridge.

Things are going so well - it feels like I've been gone for about a month, not a week, but that's just because every day is just packed full. I think it just set in that I'm here for a whole semester, not just a short vacation, but I'm excited for what's coming.

No more problems with my suitcase lock, thank goodness, and everything is going well!!

I hope all's well, where ever you all are.

all my love...

No comments: