Tuesday, September 4, 2007

'ello from jolly old england!

When I think Europe, I think narrow alleys, rivers with little bridges, amazing buildings, and beautiful parks. Cambridge is exactly that. I'm seriously so sad that we only get to spend one more day in this amazing city. There isn't a lot to do here in terms of sight-seeing or going out, but it is so beautiful and so quaint, and I really feel at home and comfortable here. We haven't had much sun yet this semester, but it has been gorgeous blue skies and sunny the whole time we've been in Cambridge, so maybe that is a good sign of the days to come. Its been cool but sunny - somewhat reminds me of Colorado around late September/early October (my favorite time of year! We're staying at Clare College, which is one of the 31 colleges that make up Cambridge University. That's right - I can now tell people that I've taken classes at Cambridge! Its interesting how different the dorms are from the dorms at schools in the US - they are comfortable, but really different from what I'm used to.

Today we had class for most of the morning, and then went on a walking tour of King's College, which is the most famous college here. Then we went punting in the river Cam (all of the bridges over that river are what led to the name "Cambridge"!). Punts are boats that are pretty much like gondolas - someone stands on the back with a big stick and steers/pushes everyone else around. It was great...and no one fell in, so it was all good.

Tomorrow is another day to explore, and then we're off to London. I'm anticipating being a little bit overwhelmed by London, just because of its sheer size and population, but we will be there for almost two weeks, so we'll have lots of time to get used to it. We have so much amazing stuff planned for our time there.

I feel like I say that so often, that we have all of this "amazing stuff" that I'm "so excited" for, but it really is true!! I just keep realizing how blessed I am to have this opportunity and to be able to see all of these amazing things.

I'd best be going to get my rest - the guys have planned Punting Olympics for tomorrow...who knows what that could entail!!

all my love...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punting olympics sounds like something I would like to get into! I'm sure I could hurt myself!

Anonymous said...

Whoops--I didn't mean to be anonymous. Love you, Dad

Anonymous said...

sounds amazing to us! So far you're hitting all of our favorites - Dublin, Belfast, Cambridge. We went there (Cambridge) several times during our year in England. What a great experience. You'll also love London. Keep the posting up - we're following you each step of the way!

D & C