Tuesday, September 22, 2009

life.

This is a picture of me as a child. Feel free to make fun of me. Everyone does.


I feel like I've been extra-specially dramatic lately.  And, to be fair, I'm in a stage of my life that speaks to the dramatic...life changes tend to do that.  However, I miss the humor and joy that I am typically able to find in the small moments.  So, for the next few minutes anyway, I'm going to search for the joy.

I'm sitting in Starbucks right now, utilizing their free internet (thanks to having a registered gift card...) because the internet at my house currently isn't working.  This shouldn't be a big deal, really, except for the fact that 90% of my current social life depends on the internet....thank you gmail and facebook chat.  Anyways, I'm just sitting here at an out of the way table right by the door to the patio, minding my own business, when a girl walks in and falls down.  Seriously.  She just fell down right in front of me and spilled her coffee all over my feet.  Now, maybe this makes me a bad person, but I almost started laughing.  Who does that?!  Don't get me wrong...I was (and still am) concerned for her well-being, but as soon as she stood back up and assured me that she was, in fact, okay - it was all I could do to keep from laughing outloud.  I mean, come on - that's funny.  Really, it's funny because it's the kind of thing that would happen to me.

Also today, I got to actually hang out with the kids at work.  Usually I only spend a few minutes with them, picking them up from school or hanging out with them until a counselor comes back from the bathroom, but today we were short-staffed, so I got to spend a good amount of time with them.  They were insane.  Maybe it's because of the cold weather or maybe it was the fact that there were some new kids or maybe some sort of alignment of planets and moons...but for whatever reason they were wild children.  So, I did what any logical person would do in that situation - I made them run laps.  For every lap they did around the playground, I gave them one Skittle.  (It's amazing what you can get kids to do with the promise of candy...).  I can't even begin to tell you how funny it is to see 25 kids running in circles around a playground and then ending in front of me with hands extended for one single Skittle.  Best moments of my job thus far.

And now I'm going to go back to listening to the incredibly talented Elise Witek...her album has become the soundtrack for my life since I moved back to Colorado (go download it on iTunes right now...).  And I think I'll read the latest entry on my friend Eric's blog.  You should probably go read it.  He's pretty funny, I guess.

Have a good night.

And here's to finding the joy...

1 comment:

John said...

Watching people fall down is one of my greatest joys in life.