Sunday, September 16, 2007

Goodbye sweet English...I will miss you!!

Today is a monumental day. Today is a day to remember. Today is my last day in an English-speaking country until December. That is a loooonnnnnngggggg time without understanding what people are saying.

As you smart people have probably figured out from my previous dramatic statements, we're leaving London tomorrow and heading to Bosnia. Talk about a culture shock - going from London (which is an awful lot like NYC) to Bosnia in a matter of hours! I'm anticpating a lot of intense learning experiences, interesting food, and lack of internet for the next week or so. So if I don't update, don't worry - I'm not dead, just buried under a mountain of Bosnian food or something :).

The last couple of days in London have been nice. I haven't been feeling great, so its been a little bit harder to enjoy being here, and I've actually been homesick for the first time. However, I've found that if I live in the present - really enjoy where I am and what I'm doing and who I'm with - that the homesickness tends to fade. I've found myself spending a lot of time over the past few days asking God to remind me of how blessed I am to be here instead of allowing me to dwell on missing home. Anyway, though, despite a rough morning today, this afternoon was wonderful. A small group of girls went to tea in Kensington Gardens in Notting Hill. The tea itself was so my fun, but the walk there was definitely the highlight. Vanassa and I had a little adventure getting to Notting Hill on the tube, and once we got there we really had no idea how to get to the gardens from the tube stop. We walked around for awhile trying to find it, but eventually stopped to get directions. We asked an older man working in a little boutique, and he ended up being foreign with an absolutely incredible accent. (I wish I could recreate it, but I just can't, so you'll have to imagine) he told us, "I tell you short way. Go past bus. Go down little passage. Go, go, go and you there, okay? Just go down little passage. Go." So we went down little passage (giggling all the way) and found the gardens! It was a beautiful day and it was nice to be in a quiet, uncrowded area for once. Thank God for small pleasures like that - they seem to redeem even the most stressful of days.

Wish me luck in Bosnia!!!

allll my love :)

No comments: