Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I wish my life was a musical.

Last night was, by far, the best night I have had so far this semester. After a lovely hour or so conversing with the parental units, I got ready and went out to dinner with about 3/4 of our group, including one of the professors. We went to this place called My Old Dutch, and they specialize in huge pancakes. They aren't actually pancakes, however, but more like thick crepes. We got dinner there (one of the top five best meals of my life) and then walked to the theater and saw Les Miserables. I saw Les Mis once before, the summer before my freshman (?) year of high school, and I loved it then, but I loved it even more this time. I was completely riveted the whole time - I don't think I sat back in my seat once during the 3 hour production. The whole thing is just so beautiful - the story of redemption and love and tragedy, the music, the sets, the cast - everything was amazing. The main character had the most beautiful voice...I was just amazed at the whole thing. It took some self-control to not sing along in some parts, but Brandon was sitting next to me and I don't think he would have appreciated it, and he's a lot bigger than me. :) I can't even really give words to just how much I loved that production...definitely a highlight.

NOW I'm sitting here in the internet cafe because I'm waiting until I get to go to the matinee performance of Phantom of the Opera! Seriously...this may be the best 24 hours ever!! Les Mis and Phantom...could things be any better!?? I just don't think so!! (Well...maybe finishing the day off by seeing Hairspray again would make things perfect, but I really can't complain!)

Its been really nice being in London - as busy as things are, its nice to be staying in one spot for more than a couple of days. Honestly, I think that if there wasn't SO MUCH to do here I would be ready to move on, but there's so much I haven't seen yet that I'm glad I'm here for the rest of the week. Its strange that I often have to remind myself that I'm in London. In the middle of the city it seems to me just like being in any other huge city - San Francisco, LA, New York - except for that everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road. (By the way, I've only almost gotten hit crossing the road twice - I think that's pretty good for 3 weeks! - I'm kidding mom, I didn't actually almost get hit...but you should probably thank Brandon for stopping me from stepping into the street...) Anyway, there aren't too many huge cultural differences that I've noticed yet. That will change drastically though once we get to Bosnia next week. Its going to be a crazy transition, and I'd definitely appreciate your prayers for our group and our safety.

Alright...off to the British Museum to look at the mummies, and then to PHANTOM!!! :)

love...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inherited it - Dad caught me by the back of my shirt collar as I stepped off into traffic in London years ago - or you wouldn't be here to enjoy the theater. Big hug to Brandon for taking over the "saving the half-wits" duties. And, I am sooooooooooooo jealous - Les Mis and Phantom. I think you're living part of my dream. (Isnt' signing along required at Phantom?)

Anonymous said...

singing or signing - doesn't matter