Saturday, August 15, 2009

solitude.

With a candle, a cup of tea, and a book to keep me company, I find myself imagining this as a cold winter's night instead of the balmy summer that it truly is.  Perhaps my self-imposed solitude is a subconscious preparation for the inevitable chaos of the next three weeks.  Or perhaps it is a way of easing myself into the certain relative solitude of the next few months of my life.  Or perhaps it is just...solitude.

I'm not usually a fan of solitude.  I like people and activity.  But tonight's solitude is peaceful.  It feels like a gift, not a burden.

Exactly a year ago today, I was at Ashley's house, ending my summer in the most perfect way imaginable.  Today, Ashley is at my house, ending this summer in a most wonderful way.  Ashley's friendship is a gift of the most precious nature.  Someday I will devote a post just to her, although all the words in the world couldn't capture the wonder of who she is.

My book is beckoning.  But it had to be said - somehow, somewhere - that right now, the world feels just right.

No comments: