Friday, August 14, 2009

newness.

The light that filters through my curtains is blue.  Sometimes it feels like living inside of an aquarium.

It's been a long week, and a fast one.  Time is sneaking up on me.  My eyes are tired, but my brain won't turn off.  Banks and bills and furniture and where am I going to live? and how am I going to do this job? and phone calls and changing addresses and where is my favorite sweater? and packing and - and - and...it's a little bit overwhelming.

(but not completely overwhelming).

Because it's right.  Because it's life.  And life isn't neat and scheduled and very rarely turns out the way it's planned.  Life is an adventure.

As alluded to in my last post, this has been a year of learning.  And it has been a year marked with fire.  I wouldn't have chosen for the passing of time to be marked by disaster, but it has been.  And from it...I have learned what it means to be refined by fire.  I walked around the campus of my alma mater yesterday, and it's different.  New buildings, new roads, construction, fewer trees, a lot more people.  But peeking through all of the changes is the place I knew.  The place where I first learned what it meant to be on my own, where I learned how to ask for help, where I learned that God really actually does love me.  That place is there.  It's just....different.  And despite the ash falling from the sky as yet another fire rages on, I smile to see the spark of new life pushing through the barren, fire-scarred earth.  There isn't a better picture of what Jesus is in my life...what He would love to be in every life.


He is the fresh newness of life where before was only death.


No comments: