Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rachelle.

I am an only child. Therefore, by definition, I don't have any brothers or sisters. However, somewhere during the past 21 years of my life, the line between "best friend" and "sister" got blurred, and the same woman has filled both of those roles in my life. Her name is Rachelle Dawn Lundy, and she's my favorite person.



Rachelle's mom was my daycare mom (aka second mom) - I spent just as much, if not more, time at the Lundy's house as I did at my own while I was growing up. That whole time, Rachelle was there. We didn't always get along very well - I recall many instances involving screaming fights, hitting each other while pretending to be asleep, hitting each other while very much awake, being made to run after a bike on the way to school, being left at school, and other various sibling-like issues throughout the years. However, I also remember so many wonderful games, shared secrets, giggles, and moments of true friendship. And yes, we may have been friends by parental influence as children, but the bond that exists between us now is very real and very voluntary, and the love of the best of friends and sisters.

Rachelle has been there for every single significant event of my life. She has been there supporting and loving me through all of it - a constant figure, even in the midst of absolute confusion and chaos. When a mutual friend died in a car accident during high school, Shell was there to comfort. When I got into Westmont, Shell was there to celebrate. When I was frustrated with life, Shell was there to drive around with and listen and give much-needed advice. When I moved to California, her consistent emails, phone calls, and letters were my lifeline. She is a pillar of consistency in my life, and I love her for that.

However, there is so much more that I love about Rachelle. Her giggle, her genuine care for those surrounding her, and the fact that she thinks I'm really funny are just a few of her wonderful qualities. She is intelligent, insightful, and honest. She is perceptive and says the right thing at exactly the right moment. She remembers important things and asks about them at just the right moment. She takes a genuine interest in those around her. She's one of the sweetest people alive, but in a very real way, not in an annoying way. She is strong and independent and has the whole world at her feet. She's going to do great things and change the lives of so many, and I am so honored to know that I am going to be there for all of it.

She is my constant support, the consistent presence in my life, my best friend in the whole world, my sister.

God blessed me beyond belief when he caused our lives to intersect.

No comments: