Thursday, October 2, 2008

Allyson.

There are people in your life who just really...matter. You know what I mean? Those people that are shaping the person you are becoming, that change the course of your life simply by their very existence. And it's not to say that everyone doesn't matter, because everyone does. But in my life, not everyone matters.

But I have been blessed with a number of those special people. Some old friends, some new. Maybe I'll tell you about some of them sometime. But today I am going to tell you about the newest special person in my life. Her name is Allyson Arendsee. She promised to blog about me and then didn't, but I'm going to blog about her right now.


This is me and Allyson at the Robot Food dance at school. Probably not the most flattering picture, but I think it captures us pretty well. She's pretty.

Allyson is an amazing woman. She's smart and funny and pretty and wonderful. She is beautiful, inside and out (could I be any more cliche?!?) But her humor and intelligence and beauty are not the things that I love most about her. What I love most about Allyson is that she is so uniquely...her. She is sarcastic and silly and spastic and sincere all at the same time, and she is real. She listens when I talk to her. She tells me how her day really was, not that it was "good" or "fine" or "okay". She has a loud laugh that comes from the deep down source of joy within her, and when she thinks something is funny, there is no question. She loves sweaters. She has the most beautiful voice, but she isn't afraid to sing like a complete dork to Cher in the backseat on the way back from LA. She isn't concerned with hiding herself in order to please those around her, but rather puts herself out in the open from the beginning. She has brightened my life in a way that few before her have, and few after her will. She understands me in an almost creepy kind of way. She makes me smile and she's willing to cry with me, and I feel like she is a soul sister sent to me at the most essential moment.

Allyson Arendsee is the kind of woman that men dream of, mothers-in-law adore, parents boast about, and friends can only wish to have.

She is an absolute blessing.

1 comment:

j. shipley said...

amen sista. so, so true. all of it. i adore her.