Tuesday, June 17, 2008

connections.

Something on my mind lately is connection. The way that we, as humans, strive desperately for connection with those around us. We look for things to relate to, moments to share, secrets that can be conveyed with only a smile.

Since being at home this summer, I've found myself more and more searching for these connections. Perhaps the fact that my closest friends are no longer living in the same building as me has caused me to feel the loss of connection. Perhaps the days spent around others but not with them is the source of this newfound desperation. And maybe it's just the growing apprehension at my impending future, which is cloudy and frighteningly uncertain at this point.

I'm graduating from college in December - less than 6 short months from now. My college career will be done. Where on earth did the time go?! Just yesterday I was graduating from high school, terrified of moving to California and starting a new life with people I had never met. Now, I'm on the brink of another transition. And while I have a head full of information and a heart full of passion to prepare me for what is to come, something about this moment feels familiar in its mix of fear and excitement. God only knows what the future holds for me. And while that does scare the side of me that wants to plan and organize and be confident in what is to come, the majority of me is thrilled at the idea of throwing worry to the wind and trusting in the perfect plan of my all-knowing Savior.

So, what does all of this have to do with connections?

I'm not entirely sure.

All I know is that the connections I have made with people throughout my brief 21 years are the things I remember. Whether it is the life-long connection of best friends or the simple fact that a friend I haven't spoken to in years is reading a book by my sophomore year Old Testament professors, connections are what are important to me.

So I will continue to strive for those connections, and to build relationships. I will trust in the relationships set before me. I will be confident in the future planned for me by my Father, and I will look forward to the connections that are inevitably a part of that future.

No comments: