Sunday, October 14, 2007

Geuten Tag!

I have a debate in class tomorrow to prepare for, and a test on Wednesday, so what am I using my free time to do? Update my blog, of course ;).

Hello from Berlin! I never thought I would say this, but its really nice to be back in a country where they speak German. Compared to Polish, its the easiest language ever! We just got here yesterday morning, so I haven't done a ton of exploring yet, but my first impression is that this is an incredible city. I'm getting ahead of myself, though - first step is finishing out our time in Poland.

The last two days we spent in Warsaw in the frigid cold (I loved it, but all the wimpy Californians I'm travelling with couldn't handle it). Our guide, Gabriel, took us on this absolutely incredible walking tour that he called "the tour of the apocolypse." He did all of this research and found pictures that were taken immediately after the Warsaw Uprising, of the remains of the city. Then he walked around the city now and found the spots where each picture was taken. It was unbelievable. The Warsaw Uprising, which occured during the Second World War, resulted in the Nazis basically destroying the whole city. There was also an uprising in the Warsaw Ghetto, and that resulted in the ghetto being 100% destroyed. We went to the center of the ghetto, and there is literally nothing left of it. Its now just a regular city block. It was incredible to see, though, how little of the city was left after the bombing, and what bad shape the few things that remain are in. Because of the communist rule, buildings haven`t been repaired, even over 60 years later. It was amazing to see.

Two nights ago we went on an overnight train to Berlin. That was quite an experience because the cars were SO small, but I really can't complain...being tall paid off. The three tallest girls and three tallest guys got compartments in the luxury class car, so our beds were longer and padded and we got free cookies. All in all it wasn't a bad night! After we arrived yesterday morning we had breakfast and got settled in the hotel and then took a walking tour of Berlin, and saw all the big sights, including the remains of the Berlin wall and the parking lot that now covers the spot where Hitler killed himself inside of his bunker. Last night we went to a performance by the Berlin Philharmonic, which was incredible, and then enjoyed a great night's sleep in our hotel (which was a nice change from the hostels!).

Today marks the halfway point of this semester, which is amazing to me. I can't believe how fast its going!!

Alright...off to study for my test. Having to sit inside a hotel and study on your free day in Berlin is some form of cruel and unusual punishment, but I guess I'll be okay ;).

all my love...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geuten Morgen, Kelsey. Wie geht es mit dir?

We too can't believe your sojourn is nearly half over, and though we'll be happy to get more first hand personal accounts, with pictures, we shall feel let down when it is all over.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelsey,
Surprise! I am sitting here with your dad learning about your trip. He just got here this afternoon and has been relaxing while getting ready to fish, fish, and fish some more. Jerry and I think that your semester is just terrific. You better some see us and tell us about it first hand.
Love and Hugs,
Betsy